Photobucket

Friday, November 6, 2009

Show Us Your Life


Welcome to this weeks Kelly's Korner "Show Us Your Life" !!
This week we are sharing Thanksgiving Recipes and Traditions. Our "traditions" have kinda changed over the years. Growing up we always went to my grandparents house. I have such WONDERFUL memories of those Thanksgivings...watching the parades on tv, playing football with my uncles and cousins, helping cook (my fave) and of course there is the Thanksgiving we took the 4 wheeler to mud pit...lets just everyone was a mess! Ah...but good memories =) Since I am married with a family of my own now our Thanksgiving's have varied each year. We try to spread our time among everyone and luckily we all seem to gather together at the same place so not much traveling. The past few years have been anything but "normal" for us on Thanksgiving. Our little girl was born the day before Thanksgiving 3 yrs ago (she made her grand entrance about 3 1/2 weeks early)...so I enjoyed it in the hospital (and no day after shopping..boo) Just a year later on the day before Thanksgiving (so 2 yrs ago) my hubby was placed on "ALERT" status with the army (basically means that he was alerted to be ready to deploy)...needless to say that was a hard Thanksgiving...hard to act normal because we just did not know anything and because of the impending deployment. (which happened just a couple months later) Then that brings us to last year...my dear hubby was deployed...I tried so hard to have a "normal" Thanksgiving, but it was anything but normal...being apart on the Holiday's because your hubby is in a war zone is NOT easy...the day is actually a blur to me, but through God's grace we made it through. So this year we are looking forward to a "normal" uneventful Thanksgiving. The only thing we are expecting is a good meal! (: I will however be praying for the families who are separated this year b/c of deployment and thanking God that He got us through another deployment and gave us this year together.
Ok...so I am sharing 3 of my favorite side dishes to serve on Thanksgiving. The hubs and his brother are frying a turkey so I can not wait to eat that!


Green Bean Bundles
French style green beans
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp ground mustard
Bacon (cut in half)

Drain green beans. Mix sugar, mustard, and green beans together. (I found the easiest way to do this is in a ziploc bag) After mixed together, wrap a small handful of the beans with a piece of bacon. Close with a toothpick. Sprinkle with extra brown sugar. Bake on 350 until bacon is done.


Broccoli and Rice Casserole
1 cup rice
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
4 Tbsp butter
2 - 10 oz pkgs frozen chopped broccoli
8oz jar cheese spread
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
4 oz mushrooms

Cook broccoli. Cook rice. Saute onion, bell pepper, and celery in butter. Mix all ingredients together. bake on 350 for 30 minutes.


Corn and Jalapeno Casserole
2 cans corn
8 oz pkg cream cheese
chopped jalapenos

Drain corn. Cut cream cheese into small pieces. Place corn and cream cheese into a baking dish. Add chopped jalapenos (amount depends on desired heat) Mix together and bake on 350 about 30 minutes (or until cheese is completely melted)

Can not wait to check out all the recipes on Kelly's Korner!

Jessica

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I loved reading that. I'm soooo glad you are all together this Thanksgiving. I also love those recipes!